Sunday, January 22, 2017

brother KA7668 Needle Selector for KX machines

Beverley has this little brother plastic KA7668 needle selector. I'd never seen or heard of it but, she assured me it existed AND it was for the KX395 convertible 4.5 and 9mm machine. AND would it work on the KX350 7mm machine?

It only goes from RIGHT to LEFT.

So it's in my hands for a whole month - but that's besides the point. What Beverley was wanting to know was:

Does it work in the KX350 7mm machine?

So first thing I did was turn it over and measure it's undercarriage.


The instructions say for the 9mm, 8 needles must be hand selected into B postition and 16 ndls for the 4.5mm setting.. interesting thought me.. why not 10? or 20? making the working mechanism 9mm, but no 9mm x 8 is 7.2cm - so I'm thinking maybe it will work on 10 preselected on the 7mm. I was able to test out the why later..

Now for the photos to show how it all works.


First I tried on a small selection, testing out the 10 needle pattern







Next, I tried the whole bed, still with the first 10 preselected, needles must be in B and D



 in two setting, one was 1x1 rib and the other a varied rib


And neither worked on all needles in work.






But putting the very first needle out of work did, but not with the 3x1 rib



It was not necessary to ONLY choose the first 8, 16 or 10, repeat of the pattern for 1x1 rib, a ruler's worth of preselected worked just as well, the only time you'd need to do this is for when you wanted the pattern to repeat differently. Getting a 4, 8 12 etc pattern wouldn't work on the 7mm machine, it works in multiples of 10. But it makes sense of the 72mm measurement for 8 or 16 needles on the other machine, and this one would have to have the long plastic tongue measure 56 mm. And no I'm not going to have at Bev's doodad!

I can't say if the very first needle would have to be out of work on the KX395 convertible, but it works a treat on the KX350 with one less needle on the right.

And so now I can say.. YES Beverley, it works perfectly on the KX350 as well for 1x1 and 3x2 rib and any other 5 pattern repeats only. Thank you for the lenda and an interesting morning..


3 comments:

Jane Austin said...

Hi, Yes the 1st needle on the KX395 also has to be out of work. :-)

Unknown said...

Bonjour je viens d acheter a une dame une kx395 et j'aimerais acquérir ce Sélecteur où l'avez vous trouvé ?. Merci

ozlorna said...

Translation: Hello I have just bought a kx395 from a lady and I would like to acquire this Selector where you found it ?. Thank you.

They are no longer made, however, KrisKrafter has a modern version for sale. Try her and see if it's what you'd like.